Elementary School Teacher
immediate supervisor: angela hymel, ash division head; angie boagni, berchmans division head
position status: Exempt, Full-time Regular, benefits eligible
Work schedule: m-f 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
The Academy of the Sacred Heart and Berchmans Academy in Grand Coteau, LA are independent, Catholic, co-institutional college-preparatory institutions. Our schools offer single-gender education; The Academy of the Sacred Heart, founded in 1821, offers instruction to girls, one-year-old through twelfth grade and Berchmans Academy, founded in 2006, offers instruction to boys, one-year-old through twelfth grade.
The Academy of the Sacred Heart and Berchmans Academy are seeking full-time Elementary teachers for the 2023-24 school year. A Lower School faculty member is directly accountable to the Lower School Division Head. S(he) works with the Division Head, Dean of Students, students, and parents to animate the spirit and life of the school through the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart education. S(he):
- Understands, embraces, and implements the school's mission and philosophy as articulated in the Goals and Criteria; participates in the Christ-centered life of the school; and models the school's philosophy in working with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Works with the Division Head to execute responsibilities relating to the academic program, classroom management, student evaluation, progress reports, and parent communication.
- Collaborates with the colleagues and the Curriculum Coordinator with executing best practices in curriculum development and implementation.
- Collects, analyzes, and shares information about student progress and goals for growth.
- Communicates with school counselor, college counselor, and learning specialist as needed to aid students in achieving the maximum development and social, emotional, and intellectual growth.
- Actively supervises as well as interacts with students. Plans and maintains a safe, clean learning environment, ensuring the well-being and safety of students in his/her care.
- Attends and participates in the following: chapels, liturgical functions, parent assemblies, conferences, and other school functions, as requested. Assists with additional duties, as necessary.
- Maintains professional currency by yearly participating in the professional development program which includes opportunities for attendance at conferences, workshops, institutes, educational meetings, and advanced coursework.
- Agrees to fulfill terms of the contract of employment.
- Models ethical and professional behavior including compliance with the school's technology and social media policy.
- A bachelor's degree in elementary education with a current elementary certification in needed grade levels. Ability to design innovative and engaging instruction.
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively with colleagues and the willingness to plan learning experiences.
Applicants should submit the following to Angela Hymel, ASH Division Head, and Angie Boagni, Berchmans Division Head:
- Current resume
- Names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three references from current and/or former direct supervisors. (We will obtain permission from candidates before contacting references).